Do you ever smile when you're alone? 5/18/19

One of the many board walks I bicycled while staying in Gulf State Park

"Nomadic travel is a complete roller coaster of emotions. And what I have discovered is you have the highest of highs and lowest of lows. You either have the best day ever or the worst day ever. There is not a lot of just existing days where you're just hanging out, right? There are just these days that are so amazing and your soul is so full and so happy and then the other days can be terrible. So, I have found that you don't have a lot of days that are just comfortable...like if you lived a normal life." -photography Andy Austin on Traveling Jackie's blog 'the Budget-Minded Traveler.'

When I drive I like to do a number of things.

  • Think
  • Listen to Pandora
  • Listen to Podcast
  • Listen to Ted Talks
  • Talk to Chibi & Charlie
  • Look through the rear view mirror and watch their eyebrows move. I pretend they are talking back to me...
I love to listen to travel or RV related podcast which is obviously where I got the quote above. The quote is by Andy Austin who is a photographer that traveled in his sprinter van conversion in 2017. If you are a podcast person 'The Budget-Minded Traveler' by traveling Jackie is really inspiring. She's easy to listen to, natural, and provides a lot of information concerning nomadic travels in the states and across the world. I super enjoy her interviews with other traveling females, professionals, solo travelers, and international. I feel that everyone is honest and provides real information on the podcast. It's not some fluff and 'instagram' like dream life they are trying to sell you. Anywho...

Jackie did not agree with Andy's above quote. But I totally feel where he is coming from. Maybe van/RV life is different than international or working while traveling? I assume it is because you are in a vehicle 60% of the time just with...you. And you only have YOU to depend on. So, if things start to go bad. It's actually real bad. I don't want to focus on the things or days that have been difficult for me...I'd rather highlight the amazing days that fill your soul with happiness. I recently had one of these entire weeks! To be honest the majority of the time I am traveling I am having these amazing days, I can count my number of difficult days on the road. 

I think the difference between what is an amazing day and difficult day is a matter of perspective and mindset. Everyday I wake up I choose to have an amazing day. A day that is full of purpose, no expectations, care-free, understanding, and open...open to the possibility of adventure. Now, just because I wake up with a positive intention doesn't mean it always happens. I've had moments that have brought me back down. For instance, locking the Honda with the keys in it while I had no service in the middle of Florida. That was a rough moment. That moment when I realized what I had done and then realizing I had no service and poor ol me. When you travel by yourself you have about 6 minutes to feel bad for yourself and then you have to snap out of it and start working on a plan. Calm down, walk till you get service, call AAA, stay calm, and wait. Because if you do not snap out of it (like if you were in your stationary life) nothing is going to get done. Your dad is not going to come bail you out, a friend is not going to rub your shoulders while you cry, and no one feels sorry for you. You have to stand up tall and keep moving. I do not enjoy these days or moments but I do appreciate them for what they are...which is a learning opportunity. An opportunity to conquer this hurdle and prove that you can solve this problem. Because after you complete your mission it is such a relief, you realize, 'if I could make it through that, I can make it through anything.' 

As I am writing this I am realizing just how thankful I am who I am. I am thankful that I do not let fear hold me back from adventure. I am thankful I have the courage to do the smallest tasks by myself all the way to traveling across the states all by myself. I am thankful for my positive mindset, strength, ability to look at the big picture, my ability to understand, and my sense of adventure. I have already accomplished so much and have so much more to go! 

For example since Tuesday I have already drove over 25+ hours, slept at 2 state parks, and drove through 6 states. I had an amazing visit in Gulf Shores, AL at Gulf State Park. You couldn't have wiped the smile off of my face if you tried. I drove 11 hours straight to get there, had to set up in the dark, barely slept because it was so hot, and then woke up with a smile and urgency to get the day started! There is something so fulfilling about being able to set up my little home wherever I want, crawl in my comfy bed, and watch the dogs fall asleep on the couch. It's the little things that bring me such joy. Waking up in the morning to both of the dogs whining, starting my coffee so it is complete by the time I finish walking the dogs, listening to the birds sing in the mornings, taking a cold shower at the campground, jumping on my bike for a 3 hour ride all over the park and the beach, and then eating a breakfast sandwich at a local restaurant I rode my bike 4 miles to get to. And all before 10:00 AM. I swear I smile the whole time I do these things. I know people that pass me are wondering what I am on. But, I am so thankful for this opportunity and I attempt to make the best out of every day.  I recently heard someone say, 'You're truly happy when you smile for no reason when you are by yourself.' I belief that is what I have been experiencing. Sometimes I smile because I am proud of myself for traveling alone. Sometimes I smile because a sweet toddler waved to me as they drove by on their bike. Sometimes I smile because I packed up the RV within 30 minutes or sometimes I just lay in bed smiling because I made it through an another amazing day. 

My advice for you. Say Yes! Say yes to trying out that new restaurant, to the new job, go see a play, walk downtown by yourself, try a new nail color, plan that vacation, go volunteer. Just do it. Stop being afraid, stop waiting for someone to join you, stop waiting for the right moment...the moment is now.
View from a boardwalk in Gulf State Park. over 20+ miles of paths & trails! 

My first day of biking.A little over 6 miles. Got a great suntan and exercise even through I was lost for a little! 

I loved these large sites at Gulf State Park! 

I met friends from Kentucky! This is what happens when you talk to strangers! ( for a split second we didn't recognize each other, ha) I was so blessed to run into them, we had an amazing dinner, drinks, and coffee the next morning. I'm so lucky! 

My view from the beach.

This is typically what a grocery trip looks like for me.
My spot at Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS

The water park in Waveland and is attached to the campground. Open Memorial Day to Labor day 

I decided to visit New Orleans due to the water park being closed. Had a great time! 



I had a wonder lunch on the corner of that balcony. 




I spent 20 minutes going back and forth on the freeway trying to figure out how to get here! It is a business that rents props to movie sets, how cool! 



Comments

Popular Posts