When the masks come off the smiles come out!...and I have some tasks for YOU! 7/15/21



This week I have a task for you. It is a fun, relaxing one...so don't start worrying! It is something I want you to do for yourself. You don't have to report back to me or any one. 

I had such a peaceful experience this Tuesday evening I wish I could find a way to share it with all of you that read this. The best way I know how to share this experience is to write about it. And I am thankful I have that ability! Which some would argue, but it's my blog...so I'll do what I want. :) This Tuesday Gregory attended a 'Guys Night' with some cousins. It actually sounded like it was going to be really fun and I am glad he decided to go! They talk about cars (specifically Jeeps), RV's, life, etc. Have dinner and and hang out. So it gave me the evening alone with Charlie. I was excited for Gregory to connect with extended family and have time out of the RV. I was also excited to do some relaxing on my own. 


I am so glad with my decision! I attended the Hillsboro Tuesday Night Market and it was wonderful. When I told Gregory that I planned to go I really didn't know what to expect. I had just seen a sign 2 days before on my bike ride advertising the market and thought, 'wouldn't that be neat to walk around at!' Usually when small towns have a week day market they are very small and quiet. Which is fine! I just wanted something relaxing to do outside of the RV while Gregory was playing with the boys. 

Realizing that Gregory was going to take the Jeep for the evening I had to get creative. Task #1: Look at barriers or events as 'Adventures.' I could have easily gotten flustered due to me not having a mode of transportation and decided to stay home and scroll through Instagram all night by myself. But, why get flustered when there are other options. I saw an adventure! 'Well, I will just take my bike!' So, I found my comfy long floral skirt, my tank top, sandals, and most importantly my helmet. Yes, I finally purchased one! And to be honest this is my first time wearing it! Which is the law here. My destination was only 1.5 miles away and I could take quiet roads. I threw my purse across my body, kissed Gregory good bye, and took off for a stroll.


The neighborhoods of Hillsboro are welcoming and tidy, in my eyes. Every other yard grows beautiful rose gardens, sunflowers, and lavender. Most yards are edged and cut to perfection with 1 or 2 large trees surrounding the homes. The homes are all built differently and painted cool colors. Feeling the wind through my hair and the sun touch my skin as I bicycled in and out of the shade was therapeutic. My bike ride was relaxing and quick and as I got closer to my destination I could hear the people and music! I'll admit one of the roads I had to bike on was quite busy and I am not 100% up to speed on biking laws but I mimicked what I have seen others do and I stayed out of the way. After my last right hand turn the city had closed down the street to vehicles. Thank goodness. I cruised up to the side walk and locked my bike on a rack. I couldn't believe how many people were out and about! Oregon has just recently 'opened' up again and masks are no longer necessary for the fully vaccinated. You are allowed to gather in groups outside, dance, and live again. As I walked into the middle of the street, which remember is closed to cars now, I looked both ways and was amazed at the amount of vendor tents, food carts, and noise. It was fabulous! 

Something that I find interesting here is that people make eye contact when they pass you. A lot of people share a smile or a nod. Maybe they are just doing that because that is what I am greeting them with. But, I was just so happy to do something so simple. To just walk down the street, see strangers faces, watch children dancing, and smell the cinnamon donuts from the food truck down the way. I had some great conversations with vendors about their products, how the market has treated them, and of course the weather. I bought some soap, beautiful stickers, and of course grabbed some food for dinner! 


After I purchased my food I searched for a nice grassy spot to sit in the shade. After a few moments of casually walking around smiling at strangers I found a wonderful soft spot to eat and listen to the live band. This was my favorite part of the evening. Picture this. Half a block of grass, sidewalks, and trimmed bushes. A live band of 4 musicians and 2 singers perform in the middle of the grassy area under a white tent. They are eclectic, dressed casually, most with long hair and artwork on their skin. They perform in front of the Hillsboro Court House which is lined with Sequoia trees that were planted in the late 1800's. As you sit in the grass the sequoia leafs shade you partially from the shining sun and blue sky above. The light of the sky keeps you just warm enough as you look around and watch the humans around you. More than 2 dozen people of every age are dancing to the music, spinning, jumping, and twirling their partners. Everyone that is dancing has a smile on their face and children squeal at each other. Over 100 people sit on the lawn around you relaxing alone or with family. Sprawled on blankets, tapping their toes in the grass, and holding hands with their partners. 


There is so much happiness and diversity here. I am not sure if the happiness is just overwhelming because we have been locked down and inside for so long. Shamed for showing our faces, emotions, and happiness. Afraid and alone. Or if this is how we have always been? And it just felt ecstatic for me? Either way I didn't realize that I needed this type of energy in my life and I am thankful for it. The diversity has always been here but I am just more aware of it. Everyone shines in their happiness. Older men with white hair down to their waist, woman of all ages with art work on their biceps and ankles, a father with long dreads, a daughter with freckles. Some people are dressed tidy with their shirts tucked in, a full face of make up, or beachy waves in their hair. Some people have ripped bell bottoms on, no shoes, and ice cream all over their face. So much diversity and yet so alike. 

I stayed in this moment watching the band smile at the crowd as they sang. Watching fathers give their kids cash to go tip the band. Watching partners seduce each other with their eyes on the dance floor in a playful and kind manner. And I just thought wow this is fabulous. I love these people. This moment. I wish everyone could find this type of peace. Maybe you find this peace while you are alone. Maybe you find this peace with your kids or partner. Or maybe it's your fur baby. 


On my bicycle ride home my senses were alert, I felt 'high on life.' It probably sounds so silly...nothing magical happened but I felt good. I enjoyed the cool air blowing through my skirt and searching for the next colorful flower to soak in with my gaze. All of the sudden I could hear sounds that I hadn't heard all day! Either because of the random 'noise' in my mind or just the loudness of every day life. The air conditioner, my keyboard as I worked, cars driving past, airplanes, the TV, etc. In this moment it felt so quiet that I could hear the faintest noise. I noticed the wind blowing through the trees and hearing dry leaves crunch as they floated to the ground. The sound of gentle wind chimes hanging from porches. Water sprinklers covering lush green lawns and rose gardens. Then the sight and sounds of neighborhood kids saying good night to each other as they ran across the street to go home.What wonderful things to be a part of. In that moment I knew I wanted to bottle up that feeling, the sights, and the sounds and share them with you. 


So, this is Task #2: Take a moment this week to 'find this feeling.' You can search alone. You can invite a friend or partner. Go on a short walk. Sit on your front porch. Put down your phone and play with your fur baby. Take a bath. Take your shoes off and put your toes in the grass or dirt. Get in the swimming pool. Go to a farmers market. Sit on a city bench. And then just watch. Just listen. Observe. Breathe. Soak in the energy around you. Breath out the unwanted energy inside of you. Touch the grass. Touch your skin. Take a moment to not think at all. 


Be thankful for what you observe. Be grateful for this moment. Give yourself grace and smile! 

Comments

Popular Posts