KY to TX First Solo Trip 01/18/19


When it comes to writing today I do not know where to start. All I know is that I do need to write! I need to write something, writing helps me examine my thoughts and emotions. There is just so much going on in my head that I just keep jumping from one thought to another and not resolving or diagnosing anything. I feel that this is a problem. I also feel that what I have been doing for the past 24 hours hasn't gotten me anywhere...so boom...yay to me for taking action, finally. Let's start by talking about my route and campsites. That will get the juices flowing and then I won't be able to shut up. 3 hours later you will be sitting at work wondering why you just read through my entry and oh my gosh look at how many e-mails you have! 

Any who...I have drove 1,088 miles in the RV since Tuesday the 15th. (I feel like this is low due to all the side trips and turn arounds but you get the point) Over 17 hours driving, 2 camp sites, 1 Cracker Barrel parking lot, & towing 1 car. Below Map Quest reports my estimated fuel cost was about $60. Try $60 every 200 miles...It adds up quick people! 

Average Gas Price: $1.89
Average hours drove per day: 5 hours 
Average hours sleeping: 8 hours! 
Average time walking dogs: 2 hours per day
Total Chibi + Charlie poops: 15
Favorite Meal: Herby K's in Shreveport, LA 
Proudest moment: When I was able to let Chibi off her leash in state park Lake Bistineau She loved the swamp and stayed close to Charlie & I!
Funniest moment: When Charlie stepped off of the board walk and into the swamp (it was green because of moss and algae) I am assuming she thought it was grass and I had to lift her up by her collar out of the water! mean while Chibi is walking in the opposite direction not paying attention.


Day 1 - I did not take one picture at the Cracker Barrel parking lot. Go figure. The drive there was cold & dark, I was so ready to get away from that weather! Tuesday I started driving around 2:00 PM Eastern time and landed just north of Birmingham, AL. No issues sleeping for any of us. 
The Set Up! I think I shall name the RV Jolene...what should I name the Honda?

Still back there! 

A little embarrassed to show this but I said I would tell the truth. Some nights this is how the girls have to eat if its rainy or cold. Or there are other dogs really close...

Fabulous meal at a gas station stop somewhere in AL. That Salisbury steak was bomb! 


Day 2 - On our way to Shreveport, LA to Lake Bistineau State Park. One thing I do not enjoy is showing up to my camp site after dark. So far I have showed up at every campsite after dark...priorities. (enter sarcasm) It doesn't help when it gets dark at 5:30 PM and you have 400 miles to drive. 

Things I have learned- 
  • Ensure all cords, water hoses, important things are clear of landing gear.
  • Don't bite off more than you can chew. Keep it at 350 miles a day or less. 
  • Reserve campsites a head of time.
  • Always...always have dog bags with you. 
If you are wondering - 
  • I find free campsites & dump sites with the app Park Advisor.
  • I find RV parks and State Parks with Campendium. 
  • I find affordable gas with GasBuddy. 
  • I turn in my gas receipts and all receipts with the app Receipt Hog. This is my first month so I haven't made any rewards yet but my mother reports that they will give you gift cards for doing surveys and turning in your receipts soooo...why not at this point. 

We got to Lake B (which is what I am going to call it due to me being unable to remember how to spell it) after dark...around 8:00 PM. Ugh. It was fine. At this point I handled it like a boss! I got the car unhooked, the RV parked and hooked up, and had dinner all within 45 minutes. By myself! I only say this because as I am writing this entry I have watched 2 other big rigs set up camp and they all use spotters to help them back up. Ha! That gives me some pleasure. It doesn't matter that they are 35 ft rigs. (And have a ton of children...ugh I am glad I am leaving early in the morning) Of course, it was a little scary (a lot) to set everything up in the dark, in a swamp, while it is misting. But, I did it and I did it quick. The plan was to stay 2 nights but when we woke up in the morning it was gloomy, cold, and misting/raining. So, we packed up to go ahead and drive to Waco, TX. Once again I made this decision about 12:00 PM and got on the road around 1:00 PM. So we arrived in the dark to Waco...but I'll tell you about that in a second! Here are some pictures of Lake B! (Of course, as we were pulling out of the park the sun came out in all its glory but it is what it is.)
Charlie sitting pretty at the Welcome Center in Mississippi 
Next morning at the park
Chibi prepping for a shit
Charlie stalking a bird



Enjoying our morning off the leashes! 
I forgot to mention that I did speak with 1 person at Lake B. At this point I was already craving a conversation with another human that I walked to a rig with lights on. Which was on the only other rig in the park. First off I was scared and thought well if a gator eats me at least they will know what happened and second off I wanted to know if they were cool and know what their story was. They were a family from Australia that came all the way to the states to see their eldest son (from a previous marriage) The son lived in Canada but was vacationing in Florida. It's okay to laugh at this point, I was like 'what the heck' in my head. Any who they never made it to Florida because their son changed his mind and stayed in Canada! Insert crying laugh face here. What a A hole. Like, that's cool we only came to the states for you and now you are staying in Canada so we will just drive around for 2 weeks and waste money. hahahah Sedona was the daughters name and Carolyn the mothers name and I think Craig was the dad and I can't remember the youngest sons name. Anywho I just wanted to tell you all about them real quick. The father did have an Australian accent, talked for 25 minutes about himself, and then told me bye. Like literally, it was the end of the conversation. Just a funny interaction. that is what I get for being so hungry for a a human conversation.

Day 3 - Like I said the next day I wasn't on the road til 1:00 PM and didn't get into Midway Park in Waco, TX until 8:00 PM. I have currently spent 2 nights here and will take off in the morning. This is a nice facility and was super quiet until an hour ago. 3 rigs with an army of children and yelping dogs just settled in. I haven't seen one woman or mother (they are probably chugging a bottle of wine and crying inside the rig. Like pleaseeee safe me.) I have seen two bro dads that just say 'get your ass back over here' as loud as they can to their sticky kids. Needless to say I can't wait for it to get dark (for once) because hopefully all these kids will go inside & play video games and be quiet. 

Okay I am being selfish because all of the commotion makes Chibi and Charlie bark and go crazy. It's like come on girls, can we just relax? NO, we can't. Literally, if they here a jungle of a dog collar both of their ears perk up. It doesn't help that these kids sound like dying coyotes. So, there you go. I admitted it, I am selfish. Whatever. Now I know what campgrounds look like on Friday nights and the weekends. 

More to come on Waco but here are some photos of Midway Park! 
 


 
She is so creepy. She learned this trick on Thursday. 


Comments

Popular Posts