A Journey to D Day 10/15/18




3 months ago I started a journey. The thing is, I didn't know I was on a journey.  I did know that I had to get an appointment with a professional and fast. Actually, maybe I should back up. Three months ago I started to build the foundation of the next chapter of my life. I actually have been working on this for about a year now, without knowing of course. Between March & April I met with Andy, a financial advisor. It was a great hour and a half of me sharing my past, my issues with the present, and me describing the ambiguous future I wanted. I laughed, I cried, we hugged...it was all very magical. When I left his office I felt like I could have conquered the world. In my mind I told myself he was going to be like the other 89% of people I had talked to about my 'issues' with my current lifestyle. He was going to tell me how lucky I am, how grateful I should be, and to count my blessings I am making the money that I am. You know most American's this day live at the poverty level and they would love not to have to worry about every penny. At least that is what I hear when I share my feelings with others. So, you are probably asking...what did you talk to Andy about? What journey are you on? I started working at Zappos at the end of 2008. I was 18, I had recently graduated high school, and I was working some dead end job at Kohls, as a cashier. I knew I needed something bigger and better, something with a future. So, where did I go? A place that every one dreams of working! A warehouse in Shepherdsville, KY. Zappos was fairly new to the area but all I had heard was great things about the place. Plus, my dad was in distribution and had a 'friend' in the recruiting office for Zappos. The day he told me I got an interview with Zappos I was so happy. I practiced my answers to questions, dressed up, and I was so nervous. Little did I know I was just going to be a picker on the weekends and normally they do not interview associates. But, my Dads friend did a good job of making me feel special and letting me think the interview is what got me the job. The reality was that all I had to do was fill out an application, pass a drug test ,and background test. Which of course all came out fine. At the end of the day it was a good experience and I was thrilled. I moved from operations, to a photo assistant, to a key holder in the outlet store, to a project manager intern, and then a area manager by 2012. It was a whirlwind from 2008 to 2012. Amazon purchased Zappos by the end of 2009 and the transition was complete in early 2012 and I was officially a salary Amazon leader. I was grand fathered in so I didn't need experience or a degree. Talk about the right place and the right time. Or I could be on to something when I say everything happens for a reason. Fast forward to 2018. I'm a Level 5 Human Resource Business Partner at a site of 300 employees and I cry at my desks 1 to 2 times a week. I make over $80,000 base pay, have health insurance, a 401K, and there are no signs that my career is going to slow down anytime soon. Another fun fact: I've done all of this without a degree or college education. At this point in my story most people say, 'you are crazy!' I'd love to make that kind of money, to have that financial security, to travel the places you have traveled, to live the life on your Instagram.' Well, of course I am not going to post my normal routine of me working all day and coming home to eat tuna and sit on the couch only to open up my laptop and work for a few more hours, I'm not going to post about my doctor visit because stress has worn down my body, and I'm not going to post how my family begs to see me for a hour or two a week and make time connect with them. But, that's the price most American's make. Work hard, then harder, play hard, and then work even harder to make up the time you missed while you were playing. I am making a conscious decision to break my vicious cycle. 

Comments

Popular Posts